The Success Story
BurfatMuhalla is one of the settlement located in Yousuf Goth of UC-7, Gadap Town in Karachi City. It’s population is estimated to 4,500 people. The living style of residents of the settlement was same like other urban slums around the Karachi City. HANDS started working in Yousuf Goth for provision of safe drinking water through sustainable resources with support of WaterAid. Not only for achievement of the object but also to ensure sustainable development, the Water supply schemes are provided with community participation. HANDS was forming Muhalla WASH Committees in each settlement of Yousuf Goth for this purpose. Same was formed in BurfatMuhalla.
BurfatMuhalla Committee Chosen Muhammad Ali Burfat as their chairman to lead the committee. During the norming phase although community faced some major challenges like;
- Bring all community at one platform and build level of understanding on basis issues of community.
- Encourage individuals as well as the community to embark on a process of change.
- Mobilize for the Contribution of community in Water Schemes.
- Complete water schemes work with the help of community and ensure billing.
With some efforts the community resolved the issues and water supply scheme was provided by HANDS and each household of the area got the tape water in their home.
Apart from project targeted activities community made extra efforts to make some more betterment for their vicinity. They brought the whole community at one platform and mobilized them to identify their own needs and to respond to address these needs through physical or financial inputs.
Following are some the achievement of their struggles;
- Solution of sewerage issues.
- Cleaning of Streets.
- Plantation in streets.
- White wash on the external wall in whole area.
- Garbage collection from each HH on daily basis against minimal charges.
- Continuousefforts the keep safety from garbage and sewerage.
- Community resolves their electricity problems almost 60% and for remaining 40% community tries to rent out PMT on monthly basis.
- Promotion of Health and Education.
Now they are doing efforts to make their streets concrete. Their struggle for Change makes their settlement different from others and sat example for others to follow. Other committees, who visited them, are seeking their advices now for change.