Community Midwifery Training School is an institute to train community midwives for providing antenatal, natal and postnatal services in the community. The school provides 18 months residential training to willing and committed local community females who have passed matric examination to provide services to their respective communities after successful completion of this course. The duration of midwifery training course is 18 months which includes initial 3 months of Priliminary Training Session (PTS) followed by community obstetrics. During the course, the CMW is also assigned in her respective community to provide services for 3 months. The Midwifery school is registered with the Pakistan Nursing Council under PNC Act 1973 (Item 15) and only this body is authorised to conduct examination and issue certificates to the successful midwives. PNC has declared certain criteria for the registration of school to be followed by school authorities. The basic prerequisite for the training is a 50 bedded hospital with full fledge labor room and teaching faculty
The objectives of this model are to:
Train local matric pass females as midwife to provide antenatal, natal and postnatal services.
Reduce maternal and neonatal mortality rates through trained healthcare providers.
Provide trained healthcare providers for reproductive health services.
- Identification of 50 bedded healthcare facility with functional labour room and provision of residential facility for a batch of at least 25 – 30 female students.
- Hiring of faculty for the school as per PNC criteria.
- Fulfilling rest of the criteria of PNC for the school and applying for the registration.
- Facilitation to PNC staff for inspection.
- Advertisement and interview for selection/enrollment of females for the 18 month course.
- Development of course/session plans for the initiation of training with PTS, followed by community obstetric topics,clinical training at facility and community placement for 3 months.
- Conduction of regular weekly, monthly and quarterly class tests and exams.
- Conduction of final exam and issuance of certificate to successful candidates.
- Conduction of supplementary exam for the failures.
- Preliminary Training Session (PTS):
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Fundamentals of Nursing
- First Aid
Introduction to Midwifery:
- Anatomy & Physiology of Reproductive System
- Labour room session
- Conduction of Delivery
- Community Midwifery and Health Education
HANDS established 02 Community Midwifery schools including 01 in Karachi Rural (Jamkanda Hospital) and 01 in Matiari district (THQ Hala). Both schools were registered with PNC and hold a good reputation among the Midwifery schools in the province and country. About 403 CMWs were enrolled, out of which 340 successfully completed their training. Moreover, 63 (15.6%) candidates were either dropped out or could not succeed in the examination.
- Per Month Cost of one student: Rs: 15,000
- Total cost of one student: Rs: Rs: 270,000