We felicitate the Government of Pakistan for presenting “Pakistan vision 2025” and admire this initiative. Citizens of Pakistan are such a social group which is affected by every public and social decision. Yet mostly and in the process of development of vision 2025, their views remain unheeded.
HANDS Pakistan started obtaining public opinion and feedback on the “Pakistan vision 2025” from five thousand rural and urban organizations three months ago. On 26th March 2015 representatives from these organizations participated in “National Community Convention” in Karachi and through debates, theater, speeches, analyzed vision 2025 and presented their opinion.
The Karachi resolution is a reaction and analytical recommendation on “Pakistan vision 2025” in context of sustainable development. This resolution brings to light the rights of the public and ways to protect these rights. The Karachi resolution demands the following rights to be made essential part of the “Pakistan vision 2025”.
The Karachi resolution is 2015 demand from Federal and Provincial Governments to incorporate following rights into vision 20205 documents and during its process of implementation.
The right to basic needs – Access to essential goods and services: adequate food, clothing, shelter, health care, education, water and sanitation.
- The right to Security – Protection of life, property, dignity, and also protection of disabled, vulnerable and marginalized people or groups.
- The right of access to information – Right to have access to information to make informed decisions and safeguard against dishonest or misleading advertising and labeling.
- The right to elect the representatives of local democratic institutions – freedom to engage in electoral democratic process and involve in decision making of development projects
- The right to be heard – To have Citizen Interests represented in the making and execution of government policy, and in the development of products and services.
- The right to justice – the right to easy access of justice and to receive fair settlement of just claims including compensation for losses.
- The right to a healthy environment -To live and work in an environment that is non-threatening to the well-being of present and future generations.
Karachi Resolution and responsibilities of people of Pakistan:
- Critical awareness – Citizens must be aware and more to be more inquisitive about the provision of the quality of goods and services.
- Involvement or action – Citizens must assert themselves and act to ensure that they get a fair deal.
- Social responsibility – Citizens must act with social responsibility, with concern and sensitivity to the impact of their actions on other citizens, in particular, in relation to disadvantaged groups.
- Ecological responsibility – there must be a heightened sensitivity to the impact of Citizen decisions on the physical environment, which must be developed to a harmonious way, promoting conservation as the most critical factor in improving the real quality of life for the present and the future.
- Solidarity – the best and most effective action is through cooperative efforts through the formation of Citizen/citizen groups who together can have the strength and influence to ensure that adequate attention is given to the Citizen interest.
The declaration calls for action at various levels such as the Government, UN agencies, International Agencies, International Financial Institutions, NGOs and the Citizens of Pakistan, to ensure the implementation of Vision 2025 in its true spirit. This is responsibility of Federal and Provincial Governments to ensure above mentioned rights in the document of vision 2025 and during its implementation. This resolution demands from all democratic institutions to keep part and parcel poor, weak, and vulnerable segment of population in mainstream development.
Civil Society Organizations of Pakistan will continue the follow up of implementation of vision 2025 by federal and provincial governments and will organize national community convention and will publish watch 2025 report every year.
Civil society organization of Pakistan
Sports complex Kashmir Road Karachi
26th March 2015